New and Improved Measurement
“What can’t be measured, can’t be improved” goes the old management adage. However, this adage can be adapted to engineering as well. Designers and Engineers measure their designs for knowing the intent, check/plan manufacturing steps, check for ease of assembly and a variety of other use cases. Measuring the radius of a hole, the length of an edge, the dimensions of a slot,the area of a face or the angle of axis are all essential tools to understand and analyze designs.
For most of our Glovius users, the Measure tool is the most prominent and critical function used for their workflow. We listened to our users on ways to improve and make Measurement more effective for them. With this in mind, we have revamped the Measure tool in the latest release.
You will notice that now all the Measure tool options are cleanly laid out in a dedicated tab. The layout has been designed based on all the options that you would need to measure. You not only have highlighted the standard measurement tools like the distance or the angle between edges, but also tools to measure specific entities like the angle between two hole axes or the radius of a circle passing through three points.
All the Measure tools have been grouped as per their type, namely :
- Point : Measure the coordinates of a point
- Length : Measure the length of an edge. Calculate the total length of edges using Tape tool
- Linear : Measure the linear distance between two entities. Choose points, edges, or circles and combination between them to measure the distance
- Radial : Calculate the radius or a diameter of a circle. Calculate the radius of a circle passing through three points
- Angular : Measure the angle between edges, faces and axes
- Area : Measure the area of a surface
And for all of us in the business of manufacturing and making things, here’s the take – “What can’t be measured, can’t be engineered”.